Rupananda Widanage (Ph.D.)
I am an environmental/development economist with extensive training in market and non-market valuation methods, food and resource studies, and social science research methods. I conducted research on economic policy reforms, food security and rural development, and economics of natural resource management. In addition, I have teaching experience from post-secondary institutes in both Canada and Sri Lanka.
- Provincial Instructor Diploma (in progress since Sep. 2016)-Vancouver Community Community College, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- University Teaching and Learning Certificate – 2011, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada.
- International Teaching Assistantship Certificate – 2010, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada.
Teaching Interests: Micro-economics, Macro-economics, Managerial Economics, Environmental/ Natural Resource Economics, Development Economics, Domestic and International Issues in Canadian Economy, Applied Calculus for Management & Life Science,
Research Interests: Valuing environmental/natural resources, Economics of climate change, Conservation agriculture, Poverty and environmental degradation in developing countries, Macro-economic policy and food security, Food price inflation & consumer welfare
PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS:
Senanayake, S.M.P., Widanage, R., and Rev. Wimalaratana, W., 2015. Macro-Level Food Security: Issues and Challenges for Sri Lankan Policy Makers. Asia Pacific Journal of Rural Development, CIRDAP, Bangladesh, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp.1-16.
Widanage, R. 2013. Household Level Food Security, Food Crop Agriculture, and Rural Development: Empirical Evidence from Moneragala District of Sri Lanka. Asia Pacific Journal of Rural Development, CIRDAP, Bangladesh, Vol. 23, No.1, pp.1-18.
Widanage, R., 2012. Cash Crop Cultivation and Rural Food Security: A Case Study in Agricultural Promotion Zone in Moneragala District, Sri Lanka. Asia Pacific Journal of Rural Development, CIRDAP, Bangladesh, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 35-56.
Widanage, R., 2010. Food Security and Rural Poverty Reduction: Empirical Evidence from Sri Lanka. Regional Development studies, United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD), Nagoya, Japan. Vol. 14, pp.45-63.
Widanage, R., 2008. Characteristics and Nature of Rural Food Security Problem: Empirical Evidence from the Moneragala District of Sri Lanka. Regional Development Studies, UNCRD, Nagoya, Japan, Vol. 12, pp.41-64.
Barichello, R., and Widanage, R., 2018. Food Security in Rural Areas: Alternative Measures and Gender Issues. Forthcoming in “Ensuring a Square Meal: Gender and Food Security in Southeast Asia” edited by Devasahayam, T., and Chonglivailan, A., World Sciencetific Pulishers, Singapore
Widanage, R., 2011. Market Based Policy Instruments for Managing Invasive Plants in BC under conditions of Climate Change. Produced in the partnership with ISIS/A research Centre/Sauder School of Business/University of British Columbia for Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS)
Widanage, R., 2010. Management of Invasive Plants in BC under conditions of Climate Change. Rationale for Government Intervention. Briefing Note 2010 No.12, Produced in the partnership with ISIS/A research Center/Sauder School of Business/University of British Columbia for Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS).
Widanage, R., and Knowler D., 2012. Economics of Biological Invasion: Invasive Plant Species Management in British Columbia. Presented at the 2nd Summer Conference, Association of Environmental & Resource Economists (AERE), June 3rd-5th, North Carolina, USA.
Widanage, R., 2012. Economic Impacts of Climate change: Effective Rain Fall, Rain Use Efficiency and Optimal Management of Range lands in British Columbia. Poster presentation, Pacific Institute of Climate Solutions (PICS) Research Forum, June 13th-15th, Inn at Laurel Point, Victoria, BC.
Widanage, R., and Knowler D., 2011. Bio-economics of an Exotic Plant in Range lands: Hound’s Tongue and Livestock Production in British Columbia. Summer Conference, June 8th-10th, Seattle, USA. Association of Environmental & Resource Economists (AERE)
Barichello, R., and Widanage, R., 2011. Food Security in Rural Areas: Alternative Measures and Gender Issues in Sri Lanka. Seminar Presentation, Aug. 3rd-5th, Institute of South East Asian Studies, Singapore
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS:
- Sukum Navapan Award (1997)–Offered for the outstanding academic performance on the degree of Master of Science (M.Sc.), Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand,
- Graduate Fellowship (2009-11)- Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions, BC, Canada
- SFU Graduate Fellowship (2008)- Simon Fraser University, Canada
- Training Awards for Environmental/Natural Resource Economics (2004) – Environmental & Economy Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA)
- Three Training Awards for Environmental/Natural Resource Economics – South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE)
- Graduate Fellowship (1996) -Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand,
- Partial Tuition Scholarships (1992 & 1993) , Department of Economics, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka